Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Rematch: Kershaw v. Vogelsong

"Nobody tells you that you have to not like the Dodgers, but it kind of rubs off on you." ~Ryan Vogelsong

Clayton Kershaw has put up some ridiculous numbers against the Giants in the past two years. Melky Cabrera's home run in the 4th snapped his streak of 35 2/3 innings without giving up an earned run at AT&T park. I told you. Ridiculous.

This is all you need to know this year: in 18 innings at AT&T Park, the Dodgers have yet to score a run. Credit that to Zito, Vogelsong, and the bullpen. It's getting to the point where I'm starting to think that even Tim Lincecum is going to give them hell tomorrow. (It's so strange to type that, but that's how the season has panned out thus far).

After facing Jered Weaver, Ryan Vogelsong said (updated with full quote):
For me to get people to start to believe that I’m for real, I’ve got to beat the Kershaws, the Weavers. I wasn’t able to do that tonight and that’s disappointing. I still feel I’ve got something to prove every time I step on the field.
For people to stop thinking last year was a fluke…those are the games I’ve got to win.
He should have been the comeback player of the year in 2011, and the baseball establishment, who couldn't see past the playoffs, handed it to Lance Berkman. Now it's the second year around, and Vogelsong's no fluke. In fourteen starts, he's 7-3 with a 2.23 ERA. And he's beat Kershaw twice already. Could he be a two-time all star?

...

In other news, Doc Ellis is the new pitching coach for the Cincinnati Reds...

It's better with sound, but MLB is getting stingy with the embed function. The announcer calls it like this happens every night--"The forward roll! Two of them!"--and then he starts wondering what the hell just happened.

No comments: